Before talking about this, it is important that you understand what pH is, click here to learn about it.
While dealing with Celiac disease, one very important part of the puzzle for me was understanding what pH is and how it affects our health.
One of the things I’ve developed throughout the years is a certain awareness about all the signals my body gives me; that allows me to understand what it is going through or what is happening within me.
I’ve realized that when I consume a lot of red meats for a period of about 4 to 5 weeks, my skin problems tend to come back. The same thing happens when I go through stressful periods.
Whenever I eat for a prolonged period of time, foods from animal origin (dairy, meats, eggs, etc.) I not only get the skin problems I’ve talked about before, but I also get other “weird” symptoms like in my ears I can listen to my own hearbeat but with the effect of a bad speaker. Any sound creates the same sensation, as if I had a broken speaker inside my ear, I would describe it as burring sounds, and no, it is not tinitus.
If, on the other hand, I decrease my animal foods intake, and increase my fruits and vegetables intake, then those symptoms tend to disappear. Weird right? well… not really. Keep reading.
Animal and processed foods create acidity within the body, this is why they should be consumed with measure. Dr. Angel Gracia, a spanish doctor who has studied sea water and its effects on the body for a long time, has a lot to say about pH… I’ll try to summarize.
pH is as important or even more than temperature in the body. However most people have no idea what their pH level is. Otto Warbürg who won the nobel prize two times, said this: “Every sickness is acid by nature. If there is oxygen and an alkaline environment, then sickness cannot exist, not even cancer”. But doctors have forgotten about this, considering they ever knew about it.
Just as our body shivers when it’s cold in order to increase its temperature, or sweats to cool itself down when it’s hot; in the same way when it becomes acid it takes calcium from the bones in order to neutralize acidity and become more alkaline. When it becomes too alkaline then it creates free radicals of hidrogen ion (+) which stabilize pH. This self balancing process is know as REDOX.
The worst heressy many doctors commit, is to tell people that they could get calcium from milk and dairy, when in fact they create acidity within the body, which in the long run creates arthritis, and hosteoporosis. Both excesive intake of dairy and lack of exposure to sun light (which they have declared a war to) are two of the most catastrophic reasons for illnesses for people over 50 years old.
Temperature and pH must be keept within a certain level, anything below or above that level will inevitably create illness and even death.
a) Temperature must be between 35ºC and 42ºC (95°f to 107.6°f)
b) pH level must be between 7.37 and 7.47.
If any of those gets disrupted, then illnesses will come, even cancer and death. A dead body is extremely acid.
A pH level below 7.37 (acidity) will create a release of free radicals (hidrogenosis) within the body which if not controlled with antioxidants, inflamation and pain will occur. Simple water intake allows us to balance our pH levels, since it is alkaline.
When the body becomes too acid, the celular envirnoments temperature becomes altered and sickness occurs, as a result microbes attack. The same negative consecuences happen when we are under prolonged stress. This happens because when we are under stress our body releases adrenaline in order to fight or flight from danger, but when this is a prolonged state, illnesses will happen because adrenaline has an acidic nature and the excess of it will create acidity within the body.
Microbes are not the cause for infections, our body is full of them all the time. Illnesses come when the bodys homeostasis becomes altered. When it becomes acid it will open the door for microbes to create havoc. The lack of micro nutrients, minerals and vitamins create an acid environment which then the body tries to balance by taking minerals from the body, specially calcium from our bones, which in long term cause ostoporosis. Every disease is a result of an acid environment as Otto Warbürg said.
How do we improve or create an alkaline environment for our cells?
Alkaline nutrition and excercise create an alkaline environment and allow the body to have a perfect pH balance.
Illneses and cancer appear when our bodies lack oxigen and our internal environment is acid. This type of environment is toxic for our cells, and in their struggle to survive they become cancerous.
Filling our stomach is not feeding our cells, there are 100 trillion cells inside the human body, and each of them must be properly fed. They cannot survive in an acid environment and without oxigen, so if we want to be healthy, the easiest approach is to strive for an alkaline diet and good aerobic excercise, which will allow or blood to become more oxigenated. If we don’t preserve that pH balance, our REDOX (Reduction / Oxidation) process will try to create that balance with the resources it has available.
Our pH also affects our mental health, since our neurons are also cells.
Junk food and pH
If you wish to improve your health, the first things that must go out the window are all procesed foods, junk foods, sodas, etc. Open your fridge and take a look inside. Throw away all your sodas, junk food, and packaged foods. If you have the tools (litmus paper), check their pH and you’ll see that most of them are acid.
Check the labels, and if you find components difficult to pronounce or to memorize, put them away, don’t eat or drink any of that.
Angel Gracia says this harshly “If your doctor tells you that your problem is genetic, don’t trust him. He probably loves academia and loves to speak the esotheric language of genes, which probably he doesn’t even understand, he’s also fat, and smokes”.
A sickperson is in essence dehydrated. When an organism is resotresd with water, free radicals are “sweeped” and expelled through the lungs, sweat, feces and urine. This is why the saying “you are not sick, you are thirsty” is true.
Source “La dieta del delfín” (dolphin diet) by Dr. Angel Gracia
How do we create and maintain an alkaline pH in our body?
According to Dr. Angel Gracia, he recommends drinking seawater, I’ll talk about how to drink sea water on a separate post. He also indicates that our diet should be 80% alkaline and 20% acid.
Foods that create an acid environment (eat with measure) :
- Vegetables: pickles and other canned and pickled vegetables
- Beans: black, pinto, red
- Fruits: blueberry, plum, canned fruit
- Grains: bread, oats, rice, desserts, pasta
- Meats: liver, seafood, beef organs, fish, turkey, chicken, red meat, canned fish
- Eggs and dairy: whole milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, eggs
- Nuts and seeds: pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pecan nuts, pistachios, cashew, nuts, peanuts.
- Oils: corn, sunflower, margarine
- Drinks: chocolate, wine, soda, black tea, coffee, beer, liquor
- Sweeteners: white sugar, processed honey, black sugar, molasses, artificial sweeteners
- Seasonings: salt, marmalade, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar
Foods that create an alkaline environment (eat more freely):
- Fruits: dried figs, raisins, dates, papaya, grapes, apples, pears, coconut, tomato, orange, lemon, strawberries, watermelon, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, peach, avocado
- Vegetables: Fresh and raw vegetables (organic, since pesticides and nitrates acidify us): raw spinach, broccoli, celery, garlic, carrots, green beans, beets, lettuce, fresh cucumber, carob, pumpkin, asparagus, rhubarb, fresh corn , Onion, cabbage, green peas, cauliflower, beetroot, potato, olives
- Grains and cereals: amaranth, lentils, sweet corn, quinoa, raw wheat
- Dairy: mother’s milk, goat or soy cheese
- Nuts and seeds: Hazelnuts, almonds, coconut, chestnuts
- Oils: flax, olive, canola
- Drinks: lemon juice, herbal tea, green tea, ginger tea, vegetable extracts
- Sweetener: Stevia, raw honey, raw sugar, maple syrup (natural), rice syrup
- Drink a lot of water.
- Consume lots of fresh, raw and organic vegetables and fruits.
- Decrease consumption of animal protein
- Do not make meat the main food.
- Eliminate junk food and sodas from the diet.
- Minimize consumption of coffee, alcohol and processed food.
- Change sugar and refined flours for natural sugars and wholemeal flours.
- Use less salt and sugar.
- Sleep well, in quantity and quiality.
I hope this information is useful to you. If you have any questions don’t hassitate to leave me a coment, I’d love to talk to you